Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Angelina Statue: breastfeeding in our culture

I am not a fan of Angelina Jolie's acting. I do like that she is outspoken about breastfeeding. I am pretty outspoken, but she is more so, which is great because more people listen to her than they do me.  HA!

So... an artist made a statue of her breastfeeding twins. (Side note: it infuriates me that 'breastfeeding' is not a word according to spell checkers. That is how major breastfeeding organizations spell it. Again, everybody, catch up, update with breastfeeding!) It is a beautiful statue.

It even has a nice point.

But... why does it have to be a famous person? Everyone should breastfeed, and not because a famous person does. Must we emulate the rich, just because they are wealthy and beautiful? Part of me wants to think that any reason people breastfeed (even if it is lame--such as being like Angelina Jolie) is ok. The other part hates the copycat in others, and maybe the copycat in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts... questions... ideas... I love feedback!