Wednesday, February 13, 2013

That Jealous Feeling

You know how it happens, so simple, doing an innocuous part of your day.

I took Augie (our beagle/pointer/mutt) outside this morning. I was shivering and watching him do his business when a car slowly drove by us. I looked up, only to see a pretty lady applying lipstick with a steady hand and manicured nails. She had on a dress coat. Her hair was stylish. Of course that is all I could see, but I imagined the rest:

She wore pantyhose, a skirt, and high heels. She was on time for work, she was well-rested, and probably had an expensive briefcase on her well-vacuumed seat next to her. Before she went to buy her morning coffee (black, no cream or sugar), she would slip on gloves that matched her coat. She would head to work, have important meetings, and send emails people would hurriedly answer.

Of course this is just my nonsense running away. I don't know this woman.  

I've returned to work and gone back to being a SAHM.I have been in the trenches in both worlds. I accurately can depict the positives and negatives from both experiences. Why, then, do I get jealous when I stand in the front yard, a whole day of snuggling my kids at home unfolding, when I see others going off to work?

I believe the work of a SAHM (or dad) is important. When I taught I saw so many kids who hated to learn, hated to read, hated to study. They had no desire to be a life-long learner - a trait educators will tell you is needed in such a complicated world. I felt the best way to work with my children was to stay home with them. It's been a long, thought out decision!

So why did the woman bother me today?

SAHM successes are important, and their value will show in our children.  (Or at least how we handle our trying experiences).

2 comments:

  1. First off, I LOVE that picture of you and Ty :)

    Secondly, it's the same reason I feel jealous of my husband when he gets to walk out the door in the mornings when C is having a meltdown. I'm so happy to be home, but there are times when I think "Geez, he only has to deal with the GOOD part of parenting". She runs to the door to see him when he gets home. He gets to hear the "I missed you, Daddys" and most nights he's home just in time to finish bath and tuck her into bed....the best part of the day, right?

    I know I made the best decision possible in staying home, but I understand completely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, and you are right. I love staying home, the same way I love reading a classic - hard work, great reward. (I'm such a dork to think of that analogy, I know). It works both ways as I remember. When I worked outside the home full-time, I stared at moms in sweatpants pushing strollers. There are benefits to both worlds, we just have to remember the drawbacks too.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts... questions... ideas... I love feedback!